As members of Country Range for Scotland, we’re delighted to share the launch of the 2019/2020 Country Range Student Chef Challenge competition.
The Country Range Student Chef Challenge is a prestigious culinary competition which has become a firm fixture in the industry’s calendar.
We’re all aware of the skills shortage we face and our success as a sector is dependent on our ability to create a sustainable future. We can do our bit by attracting young people with talent and enthusiasm to our growing industry.
The competition itself helps to develop and test essential skills and techniques as well as raising the profile of the industry, making it an attractive career prospect with plenty of fantastic opportunities.
The 2018/2019 Challenge standard was incredibly high. Eight teams competed in front of a lively crowd at the Live Grand Final at ScotHot in March, with City of Glasgow College claiming their 2nd consecutive win.
Full details of the competition, along with images and recipes of the impressive dishes from the 2018/2019 final will be available at www.countryrangestudentchef.co.uk
We’re hoping to see even more colleges enter this year so we need your help!
Key dates for the 2019/2020 Student Chef Challenge
30th November 2019
Final deadline for entries
Paper judging and annoucment of semi-finalists
3rd March 2020
The Live Grand Final at the HRC Show, London’s Excel
Who can enter:
- 3 full time catering and hospitality course students per team. A college can enter as many teams as it wishes.
- Any student can register their interest and provide their lecturers details so that we can send them an entry form.
- Only the lecturer can fully submit an entry form and menu.
- Students need to plan a three course, four cover menu to a set criteria, with a budget of £8 per cover, that can be created within a 90-minute time limit and live competition setting.
Why Take Part?
- For the student
- Develop new skills and showcase ideas
- Experience of the pressure and excitement of a competition setting
- Impressive addition to CV
- Chance to create industry contacts
- A fantastic selection of prizes
- For the lecturer
- The criteria of the competition is specifically built around the key skills a student chef must learn within the curriculum of a professional catering and hospitality course.
- Recognition – PR for the work of the lecturer, department and college at both regional and national level. Over 16 million readers have been reached from all PR Challenge activity since 2016!
The 2019/2020 Criteria
To a budget of £8 per cover and using one Country Range ingredient within each course from a list, the menus must include:
A flat fish, filleted and a sauce made from the bones. The dish must be served with appropriate garnish and include one turned mushroom per portion.
Three bone loin of pork, the eye of the meat must be used. The trim is to be used for a separate element e.g. faggot kebab or pie. The dish must be served with appropriate garnish including starch, vegetable and sauce.
Lemon tart with a modern twist.
- Country Range Student Chef Challenge engraved Flint & Flame Professional Chef Knife
- 1 day work experience in a Michelin starred restaurant, a food tour of London, including underground growing market, and dinner with the challenge and CGC team
- Bespoke Chefi Premium Leather Knife case
Each student will receive a Country Range Student Chef Challenge engraved Flint & Flame Professional Chef Knife
- All Finalists
Photo canvas collage of the team and their creations